Wednesday, October 28, 2020

The X Files

Massive TV series, never saw it…until now. A fitting one to see during October, The X-Files deals with unexplained phenomena of all kinds, hence the X files.

FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, believer and skeptic, go through these cases together, ranging from alien abductions and UFO’s, to shape shifters, monsters, spiritualism and the unknown.

The X Files Season 1 is a pretty start, and the intro of it is well known in pop culture. The concept of having a main arc as well as standalone episodes is intriguing.

Season 2 is more of the same good stuff, but honestly no standout episodes for me yet, except for maybe The Host. I find it’s inspiration sources intriguing, I had already seen The Twilight Zone, Tales from the Darkside, Kolchak The Night Stalker and Twin Peaks before starting on this huge sci-fi/mystery/crime/horror series.

Season 3 is considered the best objective season in general. It brings more conspiracies, serial killers, monsters of the week and strange unexplained phenomena come and go here, and Scully and Mulder grow up more as characters. I started to truly believe here and marathon it. Memorable episodes include Pusher, War of the Coprophages, Clyde Bruckman’s Final Repose, Jose Chung’s From Outer Space and Talitha Cumi.

I don't have much to say for the next two seasons, other than I saw the general quality drop, while I liked Home, Leonard Betts, Elegy, Gethsemane, Bad Blood, Mind’s Eye and The End. I haven't seen the rest yet, but it looks like I have seen the best half of the series already.

Rating: 7.5 in general

No comments: