Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Dark Tourist


A “dark” version of Louis Theroux travels to unusual and macabre tourism spots around the world, trying to escape from regular life and feed his curiosity and imagination by experiencing crazy spots and events.

Dark Tourist is a documentary by New Zealand filmmaker/journalist/tourist David Farrier with some well done episodes in general, although some scenes feel more forced than others, and some of the exhibits simply aren’t as interesting as others, although there is variety.

My favourite episode was Central Asia, in particular Kazakhstan’s “sightseeing’s” such as the nuclear lake and the chance to see a rocket launch into space, as I was already aware how crazy Turkmenistan in general is.

It reminds me of the dark spots I still want to see in the world, of which I did a previous blog post already. It also reflects me of the abnormal locations I have seen so far in my life already, such as the Area 51 landmarks, Auschwitz, North Korea and Hiroshima.

I wasn't really bothered or annoyed by David as many have pointed out, and I wouldn't mind seeing a more polished second season.

Rating: 7.0

No comments: