Sunday, October 13, 2013

Haunting Ground


Exclusive PS2 title from Capcom which was unable to captivate me for various reasons. Haunting Ground is another survival horror game using Clock Tower as it's influence by the use of the hiding feature.

A new feature is the companion of a dog where you can issue commands towards Hewie, such as solving puzzles, obtaining items and defending your character Fiona from danger. The graphics look impressive for a PS2 game.

The story is vague at first, but it seems that all of the inhabitants of the main location have an interest in Fiona in one way or another. The scenery wasn't that spectacular for me, and the overall soundtrack felt more like cheap attempts rather than taking it seriously regarding horror.

I had frustration with navigating around, and I also disliked the programming on Hewie, for there were times where I needed him and he just would not follow me until I issued the Go or Come commands correctly, which both sound the same at first anyway.

There was nothing that scared me in Haunting Ground, but it has some interesting characters, such as Debilitas, a grown man with a childish personality and a thing for dolls. The chase scenes where each of your enemies go after you get easier as you get to know more about enemy design and hiding spots.

Haunting Ground is a rare dissapointing title, especially coming from Capcom, and that's a sad conclusion to take. I disliked the gameplay, had trouble with progressing, thus getting frustrated, and there wasn't much memorable, if anything.

Rating: 5.0

No comments: