Monday, November 23, 2020

Retro Blog: Unreal Tournament(1999)

 UT OST

Whereas others would label Quake 2 as their defining multiplayer PC shooter of the 90’s, I played a lot, A LOT of Unreal Tournament in the past as a young teenager.

It was pretty much the first competitive PC shooter for me, and it was exciting to get better at it. It had enjoyable modes, such as Assault, Domination and Last Man Standing, and the level design such as Deck 16 and Facing Worlds was excellent.

The weapons were a hell lot of fun, including the Rocket Launcher, the Gel Launcher, the Flak Cannon and the “InstaGib” Shock Weapon. Good times, definitely, as I proceeded along with a team to deal devastating destruction against our opponents.

To a lesser extent, I had only played a few of Unreal Tournament 2004 (The survival mode with the monsters as I remember was quite fun), and I briefly played the 2014 revival, but quickly went to other games after that. I won’t forget about the original one though, with its many interesting mods that I gladly installed.

To an even lesser extent, I enjoyed the original Unreal from 1998 too, as I remember how I used to spawn more enemies per level using cheats back then, and Unreal II: The Awakening was impressive for it's time back in 2003 too.

God damn, it has been over 20 years since Unreal Tournament was my religion! 

Rating: 8.5

"M-M-M-M-Monster Kill!!"

No comments: