Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Mummy! Or a Tale of the Twenty-Second Century

 
No, this is not a mummy novel based on the Universal Studios films. This is more based on what Mary Shelley's Frankenstein novel inspired it to be, which is science fiction with horror. Written by Jane C. Loudon, this is not a recommendable book.

But since I was curious to discover this to be one of the earliest examples of a "Mummy's curse", I gave it a try. What I found out upon completing the story is that there is a lack of imagination, horror or admirable writing to be found in my opinion.

There were too many characters involved for this type of literature to co-exist, and since it was happening so far into the future, why did monarchies still exist? Why was there so much political talk about sovereign topics? Or am I simply unable to grasp the author's vision here anno 1827?

The mummy resurrected in question, called Cheops, merely manipulates and makes slaves of others while not really acting like a mummy itself, but more of a diabolical presence who inspired vice actions from the others.

Believe me, the way I attempt to summarize this is more exciting to read than the novel itself, it's not like it's a true classic compared to the other two novels I reviewed this month. But since I am always inclined to go as far back as possible in regards to experiencing all kinds of mediums through their origins, I did the same here.

And The Mummy! did not deliver.

Rating: *(out of 4)

No comments: