Friday, December 18, 2020

Internet Movie Database

The Internet Movie Database, or IMDb, has been my best partner into discovering movies/television series. For reasons such as recommendations being shown, and being able to click on directors and actors, and discover more movies.

Launching over 30 years ago, I myself started using it when I was 18 years old, when I somehow also decided to start writing short reviews of each movie I have seen inside documents, and I have been doing that for almost 15 years now, that's crazy!

Obviously I haven't shared the majority of those reviews, as I just write them offline. I have shared some of them on my blog in the past, expanding my thoughts and opinion with each of them. And as I will reach 5000 movie reviews soon, I wonder what happens next.

With IMDb, I have also rated each of these. As I tend to look at movies, I read the summaries, the cast, the overall rating score and the reviews others have left behind. Trivial stuff and bloopers can also be interesting, and I miss the message boards, which closed down because I think that they could not moderate so many movies anymore primarily.

Since last year, I have also started to use Letterbox, as I like the way it categorizes lists with movies, it's visually different and striking, and the community is different. After importing IMDb data towards that, I started using both databases, although IMDb remains my favorite.

It's fulfilling and entertaining to not only watch good movies, but look them up too, and if possible discuss and talk with others about them. I am grateful with databases such as IMDb, because I would have never discovered a large potion of movies, especially foreign, were it not for that website.

No comments: