Friday, December 25, 2020

A Christmas Carol

Okay, so I lied. It's time for 1 more traditional Christmas blog post :)

I decided to read the original 1843 novel by Charles Dickens about A Christmas Carol, the timeless story about Ebenezer Scrooge, an elderly miser who is visited by the ghost of his former business partner, and the Spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Yet to Come.

Of course, having seen many film adaptations about it already, such as Scrooge from 1951 and The Muppet Christmas Carol, this public domain story is widely known and portrays Scrooge's current love of money, while throughout the plot, will remember what Christmas means, and he then transforms into a kinder, sympathetic man.

The ghosts of the past, the present and the future portray with melancholic and beauty, typical events of family, but also how the poor are treated, and how Scrooge remembers joyful moments from himself and others.

Reading and finishing this for the first time, at the end of it, I just had to cry, reflecting back upon my life so far. Where has the time gone? I was such an innocent boy long ago, just like any other child. I suppose the tears meant ultimately that I am thankful for my virtues, those around me, and my life.

Merry Christmas, and a much healthier and happier New Year!

No comments: