Thursday, January 31, 2019

Plex and the Streaming of Media

 

Streaming has made life more easy.

The dispute or controversy surrounding ownership, copyright and distribution of media will not be talked about today.

In the past, I was introduced to the software media platforms called XBMC, and later on Kodi. For a while, using my small media based mini PC, I used them primarily for my movies and TV series, and I used external storage instead of the LAN.

For about six months now, I discovered Plex because of a tip in my social network, and I found how comfortable and easier it is to use it's streaming, or cloud frame work across several devices. In combination with my LG C8 and a Gigabit based network, I became hooked.

Setting up the media server on my custom PC was straightforward, although I was looking for a while how I was able to synchronize and update my various libraries such as films and pictures. The sleek stylish basic interface is also nice, although customization is available.

Of course competition exists, but I am not the most tweaking engineer out there, and I was quickly content with what Plex offers. Customizing stuff can be a fun thing to do though, one of the earliest examples I can give of that personally is using various Winamp skins.

Plex is worth trying and using in the current age as home theater software, or simply as a media server as many environments and OS's are compatible with it.

No comments: