Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Double Retro Blog: Mario Kart 64 & Diddy Kong Racing


Super Mario Kart holds a place in my heart for letting me multi play with my brother and even my dad, but it's the 64 bit racing duo of the 90's which defined the best couching time I had with friends, alongside other prominent games.

Mario Kart 64 is the successor and grants up to 4 players to play simultaneously, while the roster has expanded and the previous game modes return including Grand Prix, Time Trial, Versus Mode and Battle Mode, of which the latter was for me the most fun to play with friends, especially on the block arena!

I realized for the first time here, the difference between NTSC and PAL versions, because I played both of them for Mario Kart 64. I noticed changes towards the music and the speed of the karts themselves, and it confused me.

It is also the game where one of my best friends and his brother had established world records in regards to the Time Trial records around the early 2000's.  I could not compete likewise, but I still liked acknowledging this.

Mario Kart 64 remains one of the best in the series, and is obviously a retro activity for me!


This is the other very fun racing multiplayer game I experienced with buddies in the 90's, where the most prominent feature is that besides karting, you can also fly with aeroplanes in the sky, and hover with hovercrafts through the water, for ALL of the stages!

And these stages were vast and numerous, and again, my buddy and his brother used to have world records for this one as well. However, I managed to have my own record on one of the water levels in it, and they were not able to beat it, so take that!

There are pro's and con's towards using the different vehicles, but the course design is fair and balanced in that regard, it just depends on what kind of play style you are craving. A rather creative story mode is also involved, and the cast includes not only Diddy Kong, but Banjo and Conker from Rare's other games too!

Diddy Kong Racing is another retro look from the Nintendo 64's prime time, and it featured fun multiplayer and obstacle items to annoy your opponents too, just like with Mario Kart 64. It's a shame that a true sequel was never released!

No comments: