Saturday, October 18, 2014

Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive

As a side note, it's been years since I saw both mentioned movies with horror elements, and additionally, I saw them inbetween a period lasting at least a full year. So perhaps excuse these rather outdated reviews in terms of the style of writing, but it's simply not time for me yet to rewatch both of them.


"The fourth movie I have seen from David Lynch, which is a better movie than Blue Velvet for me, is pretty confusing to figure out the whole meaning for all of it. Sometimes with movies like these, I just tell myself that the director just made a big mess full of shit and piss and then attempted to make a movie out of it.

This was most of all created purely for debate and closer examination at, for example, the symbolism, the characters, or the story itself. Interpretations and patterns are traditionally used by Lynch in order to create discussion.

It's funny when one person on the internet dares to challenge a whole fan board of movies like Lost Highway and simply saying that the movie is, quite originally, the worst movie ever. Without even specifically argueing about such a loud statement.

Most of the time I laugh at the theory then that directors like David Lynch might be laughing secretly in their own bed at the fact that everyone is highly debating over his movie which has no reason or meaning of its existence.

But you know what, even after all of the debates and theories, and the conclusion after these from the fans then is that the movie makes no sense, it can still be a great movie. So, whenever Lost Highway makes sense or not, it was still interesting to sit through.

I am quite used to David Lynch's slow scene moments and mysterious dream sequences since I saw Eraserhead, so those won't stop me atleast from giving Lost Highway a negative score. It takes a different approach to appreciate his rather abstract projects.

This time, in this small review, I will not go into the story or characters of Lost Highway, but I will simply tell you that Lost Highway is one big confusing movie, although not as confusing as Eraserhead, and is quite an interesting movie to sit through, alone if possible, or only with friends who have the desired patience(and silence during the movie until the end of it) to watch all of it happening.

In short, Lost Highway is a movie to talk about."

Rating: 7.0


"Oh fuck, looks like I am back inside David Lynch's universe again. Hahahaha, this is so funny, so intriguing, when I stumble upon an adventurous innocent trip in Hollywood which suddenly twists with reality and fantasy, shocks us for the random yet strange cycle of events and ends like nothing ever happened but at the same time something extraordinary just happened.

Something unusual, something unique. Mulholland Drive, which by the way has all the right to have it's own meaning of life, is another movie which I could call a reason for loving cinema. How I love David Lynch. He gave me Eraserhead, The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet and Lost Highway already, and now I have seen one of his most intriguing pictures yet.

As always is the case when a difficult movie like this has to be understood, I rely on the internet with it's discussions and reviews about those movies as an assisting tool. I also have to decide whether to agree with my interpretration of the movie or not when using these materials.

Sometimes I agree with the internet, sometimes not. As for Mulholland Drive, let's just say that I was interested throughout the whole movie, and that I am satisfied with it already without even understanding the strange events.

It might have been a dream, a nightmare, a movie played by actors(Oh the irony!), a whole pile of shit or an exploitation of the Hollywood life, whatever the case, this was definitely another unusual movie, not for everyone.

I do think that I could recommend this movie though, for the movie starts out calmly, then it suddenly "mindfucks" the audience, and ends with silencio...I would really like to know what the person next to me would have to say about Mulholland Drive if he or she saw it together with me. Enough talking, get to the next movie already Flok!"

Rating: 8.0

No comments: