Friday, June 12, 2020

PlayStation 5 Preview


Here's your "E3" Sony thoughts, bro.

Streaming over one hour live, I watched the PlayStation 5 show last night with a good buddy of mine. With only a few speeches given, most of the show was all about announcing and showing new games.

From predictable sequels to new intellectual properties to indie trailers that made me yawn and instantly forget, it had it all. Design wise, the console is slick, futuristic, elegant and large as far as height goes, when compared to current and previous generations of PlayStation and Xbox.

Announcing a Digital Version means that it's a very large step towards many people who will no longer buy physical games, which means that video game shops will definitely have a huge impact by this, as if the pandemic wasn't enough.

Personally, I think that physical games will always have a presence in some form, whether new or old. Specs wise, with a SSD installed, many teraflops present and having ray traced rendering of the GPU, as well as huge amounts of RAM and bandwidth, it's your next gen beast.

The exact release date and the prize remain unsolved, but if you ask me, I am predicting that it will come out in November with a suggested retail price of 500 euro, while the Digital Version will be 400 euro.

Having said all that, let's talk about the best part of any system; the games! Or at least the ones that impressed me, hehe.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales 

From what I understood, this is a stand-alone expansion towards Spider-Man from 2018, similar in length and design like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and instead of Peter Parker you will play a different MC. Not sure what to expect, but if the gameplay and scope remain, consider me piqued.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 

I adored the remake on the PlayStation 4. Beautifully crafted graphics and smooth, Rift Apart seems to be playing with the concepts of teleportation manipulating space. I never played any of the numerous previous other entries, but this seems like an easy buy.

Demon's Souls Remake

Heavily rumored for months, Bluepoint Games is remaking it from the ground up, promising a new Fractured Mode and two modes of graphical plays, either turn up the frame rate or the amount of pixels. I wonder if it can still be good with it's game design, as it was the first of the Souls games. I am pretty sure that this is a no-brainer buy for me.

Resident Evil: Village 

This got leaked in content back in april. It took me a while through the trailer before I released that I was looking at Resident Evil 8, and ironically, it is giving a lot of Resident Evil 4 vibes too. Promising to be biggest, scariest and darkest entry yet, I am quite excited how it was shown, but I want to see more gameplay and monsters before I am truly excited. I'm sure that Capcom knows what they are doing.

Horizon Forbidden West

Everyone knew that this was coming. With Hermen Hulst now spearheading the newly labeled PlayStation Studios, he departed Guerilla Games with handling Aloy's sequel in a new vast world showcasing a desert setting and underwater gameplay for the first time. A gorgeous reveal, this is a true next-gen looking game.

Honorable Mentions which also impressed me:

-Hitman III
-GhostWire Tokyo (Shinji Mikami)
-Kena: Bridge of Spirits

All in all, I am excited in general by the next generation coming at the end of this strange year. It remains to be seen if I will get one at launch, and what else Sony might still announce in between, and besides, there are exciting games to play through until then. With one in particular finally releasing next week!

No comments: