Friday, March 9, 2018

The Port Machine

After watching the latest Nintendo Direct, I can´t help but to label and criticize the company´s latest business model.

Although sales and third party are back on board, the amount of ports being made not only for the Nintendo Switch, but towards the Nintendo 3DS too, really make it way less interesting for me as I have pretty much played and beaten all of these before.

There are several definitions of what a port, a remake, a remaster and so on are, and in Nintendo´s case, they seem to either up the graphical scale, or add a minimum amount of new content, like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze for the Switch for example.

Perhaps the worst feeling of dislike I now have is that essentially, at this point, the Wii U has become a black sheep of the family, just like the Virtual Boy. With only a handful of exclusive games on it left, why else would you ever want to be interested in one right now?

It's like porting over all of the exclusive and best N64 games to the Gamecube in a minimum of 2 years and pretend as if the N64 never happened, because that's what happening in my opinion with the Wii U and the Switch right now.

I thought that Nintendo would stop the production of 3DS games by late 2018, and focus on it's hybrid console from there on out and combine all of the developing teams, but instead almost the whole business at this moment  has become The Port Machine, and I don't like it.

I'm not forced to rebuy any of these, as I have them on my Wii U, and I know that new sequels and original content are happening, but this just became another reason for me to wait until I buy the Switch. E3 will certainly be a deciding factor depending on what else is announced.

But for now, I am definitely not feeling it, and I will go back to my PS4 for the time being, as Sony in my opinion and dare I say it, has a better flow of new exclusive releases than Nintendo has as I write this post. Let's see what happens next in 2018.

No comments: