Saturday, March 31, 2018

Flok Strips

Before I depart my decade as a twenty-ager, let's write down 1 final nostalgic post about the time when I used to draw and write my personal comics called Flok Strips as a teenager.

I was exceptionally bad at drawing characters then, and I still am now. I can copy someone's art by re-drawing it, but that's about it. That is why my comics, which is called stripboeken in Dutch, always featured characters which I could draw very easily.

These short stories would usually be about video game related themes, as I even recaptured the most memorable moments of the infamous Sony PlayStation E3 event from 2006, such as Old Snake pulling a gun inside his mouth, or the Genji 2 guy talking about crabs and massive damage.

Other comics would feature quizzes, ultra violence, mock high school life and many times, at several points I would be out of ideas on how to end the short stories, and I simply would let my characters suicide then, hah!

My main protagonist was Flok, who always was very hairy and had two very large front teeth, covering his entire mouth. Of course, I used to have two large teeth a very long time ago, and the comics exaggerated this.

Other characters included Killer, Flok's main rival, Absurdo, Joop Andersom and het Hoofd en Voeten, which frankly all hardly had personalities, heh. The comics would usually end after 4 frames so to speak.

I almost wanted to include a screenshot of one of these comics as an example, but I decided that this is a personal treasure of mine. Perhaps if you happen to meet me personally one day, then you too will be granted the privilege of experiencing the good old Flok Strips!

And with that said, I bid my teens and twenties farewell, and I look forward to the rest of my life!

No comments: