Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Switch's Success

 

The Nintendo Switch is becoming tempting to me.

With recent news that the Switch is now outselling the PlayStation 2's Year One sales in Japan(http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/01) and that Kimishima has boldy announced that the console hybrid will sell over 20 million units in the next financial year, it's hard to ignore it.

Rarely, if ever, has a console be so successful in it's first year which is technically still running until March 2018, not only because of it's versitality and portability, but also because two of last year's GOTY contenders happen to be exclusive and they have re-invented the wheel of entertainment.

For the first time, I did not buy a Nintendo console at launch last year, as I decided to wait how it's future would shape up. The Wii U's poor running time and the fact that I got very busy in 2017 means that I made the right choice.

Besides, Sony's PlayStation 4 and Nintendo's SNES Mini gave me enough gaming distractions so that I would still be doing my thing elsewhere. But now that 2018 has started and I have a bit more time on my hands, I'm almost decided.

Yet, the next Nintendo Direct is very likely to broadcast this month, and to be honest, I will simply wait it out a bit more until I know what will be announced during that time. If third party support will continue to surprise us from unlikely companies such as Bethesda then that's great.

And if Nintendo can continue to deliver a constant line up of first party titles for this year too, alongside a surprise or two, then I will most likely rejoin them. If F-Zero, Advance Wars or a proper Paper Mario get announced then I will instantly be on board!

It's amazing how Nintendo has made numerous comebacks over the years and decades. Leave Luck to Heaven indeed.

No comments: