Sunday, October 29, 2017

Romero's Dead Franchise

I can't believe that I did not properly review the late George A. Romero's Dead franchise yet, may he rest in peace, or someday rise from his tomb as a zombie!? Often considered the father of the zombie horror genre, he has influenced the culture surrounding it tremendously.

NOTE: The numbers under the movie posters indicate the number of the movie I have reviewed, we're talking about over almost 10 years ago when I reviewed most of these, but my original comments still stand up.

 #90

A classic movie featuring the very first modern zombies as far as I know, it is also the first movie in Romero's zombie serie. It was interesting to see how to get rid of the zombies, by either burning them or shotting them in the head, because that is exactly the same way as in Resident Evil Remake for the Gamecub.

I do know though that Resident Evil got inspired by Romero's zombie movies, so that's why I am planning on seeing Dawn of the Dead(1978), Day of the Dead and Land of the Dead soon. It however has quite aged, and I guess that I will find the true classic of the zombie genre in Dawn of the Dead, seeming that that is the most popular zombie movie. Nevertherless, it was a good start for Romero and I am quite amazed that these kind of zombies could be found in the year 1968 already.

 #117

The original George A. Romero version is pretty different from the remake I have seen twice already. Featuring easy to spot blueish zombies, a biker gang of punks and hippies bent on killing and taking everything, a badass black character who survives just like the black one in the remake(Seems like every Romero zombie movie has a black main character), typical 70's clothes, music and equipment, Dawn of the Dead is a good zombie movie with lots of deaths, action and gore.

Although I tend to like Dawn more than Night from 1968, I am not sure which version I like of Dawn better, this one or the 2004 remake. The zombies, which makes these movies great, are after all in both Dawn movies clearly different from each other.

Another moment I liked about the movie is the big free for all match at the climax of the movie, featuring Zombies vs main characters vs biker gang, I liked seeing that much chaos happening. I was also suprised to see 2 child zombies in this movie, I myself thought that would be impossible to show in theaters back in 1978.

Overall, Dawn of the dead might perhaps be the greatest action zombie movie yet for me, but I wonder...is this really the pinnacle of zombie movies? I don't think I would like to call this the ultimate zombie movie, so I will promise myself for now to try to find a zombie movie which will top this one for sure.

 #304

In my opinion, Day is better than Night or Dawn. For not only having less ridiculous zombies, but for also having the best isolated location, interesting studies into zombie behaviour, gorgeous gore and intriguing characters.

The strong Sarah, the tyranical Captain Rhodes, the troublemaker Miguel, the horror doctor Logan(All in the name of science of course!) and the badass John playing the self collected action hero. Atleast I think his name was John, the dark skinned character. It was fascinating to see these different characters clash at each other. In overall, one of the better zombie flicks out there.

#1423

After 20 years, Romero returns to the zombie genre he uprooted towards the mainstream. Fiddler's Green is an elitism place where the rich reside and the others must survive on their own surrounding it from the zombie apocalypse outside.

1 guy and his buddies operate the Dead Reckoning, a powerful weapon truck that has been stolen. Dennis Hopper orders the main character to retrieve this plot device, and meanwhile, zombie culture and traditional zombie attacks and deaths occur.

 The main character and the thief guy share a rivalry, and in the end, Fiddler's Green and pretty much the last hope of humanity is taken over by the zombies. Not as good as Romero's previous ones. The remaining survivors head for the north.

As for Romero's later Dead zombie movies,  including Diary and Survival of the dead, they simply do not hold their candles towards the original trilogy in regards to influence and their cinematic styles. Land of the Dead manages to be entertaining enough to warrant an inclusion.

No comments: