Saturday, January 14, 2017

Further First Impressions of the Switch


I just saw the Tokyo press conference as anticipated by everyone around the world, and I must say that in overall I am pretty excited for the potential of the new Joy Con´s flexibility and diversity most of all!

The release date of March the 3th is earlier than I expected, and the suggested price of 299 dollars, or about 300 euro´s, is pretty fair, considering that Wii U and Wii were around the same price range as well.

I´m not bothered by the paid online service Nintendo has decided on, as I am used towards it with Sony already, as long as the connection stays stable at the least, then I won´t complain. What´s much better news to hear is that the regional lock is almost entirely gone from what I could tell!

The 3 perspective styles of Nintendo Switch, TV, Tabletop and Handheld modes will make sure that this system will be the most versatile in it´s hybrid presentation. I´m in particular excited for Tabletop mode providing for a middle ground personally.

Some of the system aspects include a battery being charged between 2.5 to 6.5 hours, AC adapter and USB Type C, Wi-Fi, up to 8 Switches performing local multiplayer, a square button being able to capture videos and screenshots and share them socially, and independent gyro/acceleratormeters per Joy Con.

The Joy Con's design philosophy includes to Share the Joy, meaning that each 2 controllers per Switch can act as a sole individual depending on the game, and they have been designed in such a way to be a best of controller layouts Nintendo used to do in the previous gaming generations.

Finish off these Joy Con's with infrared camera's and HD editions of the rumble effect, and then you're looking at something very exciting!

As far as video games themselves, honestly, there are no true surprises. Splatoon 2 as a sequel and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as the definitive edition had been shown previously, as was The Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wild, landing with a tempting launch date release on March the 3rd.

1, 2 Switch seems like the new Wii Sports, or rather Wii Play, as it obviously is a mini game compilation, except that the theme tends to invite you with the controllers towards social events, as the game has been designed to avoid using a screen to look at.


I am the most excited for Super Mario Odyssey! This time, Mario will travel towards foreign countries with different settings, including what seems to be portions of Tokyo and New York City, while Nintendo has promised that the game design itself will be sandbox based again, just like 64 and Sunshine. Unfortunately, the release date will take a while, as Q4 2017 was listed.

Fire Emblem Warriors is nothing special for me, as the musou spin-offs by Koei Tecmo/Team Ninja tend to be summarized with 1 word from me, which is "repetitive". The boxing game Arms seems mildy entertaining, although I am worried about the replay value.

Xenoblade 2 is perhaps the only mild surprise, considering not only that we previously got Xenoblade Chronicles X which we all assumed was 2, considering the short development time, and considering the mood to be rather more happy go around, although I am still interested by this very much for the world building and gameplay alone.

It's nice to see the revival of Bomberman in the form of Super Bomberman R, and I hope that Konami will really, really start working on all of it's own dead IP's minus Metal Gear Solid, and I am talking about Castlevania, Contra, Silent Hill and more then.

Third party lineup in overall seems promising, including titles like Shin Megami Tensei 25th Anniversary, Dragon Quest X+XI(region lock is pretty much gone), Project Sonic 2017 and an untitled No More Heroes revival, but can Nintendo really bring third party assistance back for the entire run of the Nintendo Switch? I hope so.

Despite that I am again pretty much excited, I have decided that for the first time, I will not buy a Nintendo console at launch, simply because there is not much to sell me over yet(Nintendo's other IP's will have to do that for me), plus I am too occupied with what is coming up for Sony's PS4 library.

No comments: