Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Discovering Linux

 

I used to always be intimidated whenever someone would mention Linux, as I foolishly would assume and conclude that it is too difficult to operate, manage and develop for. While that thought is partially still true, luckily nowadays, there are hundreds of friendly variations of Linux available.

Finally, I decided to discover Linux by starting with Ubuntu like many others before me, based on Southern African philosophy, it´s a simple GUI based operating system with as promised in general when speaking of Linux, or Unix like systems, free software, free development, free control.

Forgive me, for I do not fully understand the difference between Linux and Unix yet. There is still a lot to learn from these uncharted territories for me, and Ubuntu is just a start. It´s easy to operate and fast with loading times, but sometimes it would indeed crash unexpected with simple tasks.

The GNU distributions, or also known as Distros, vary by the hundreds, and it´s an overwhelming thought. Luckily, there are articles and lists available describing the distros in short for what they offer. Currently, my eyes are set at Fedora and Gentoo, two of which I have heard curious features about.

I think that these 3 named distributions are a good indication of the differences between challenge and style between them. Linux is no longer isolated towards a group of elite developers as I previously thought, and I wonder what else I will learn upon taking this discovery further.

And I know that there are more versions than just GUI systems, and that OS´s on smart devices are based on Linux/Unix architecture, just like macOS. Let's see what my next step will be in this rich world of computing.

No comments: