Monday, December 15, 2014

Destiny

 

Considered the most expensive new IP to be produced, Destiny is for it's initial vanilla release ultimately a mixed bag. Although this is technically the first MMO I have ever played, without counting having played vanilla World of Warcraft for no more than 1 hour, I am dissapointed.

And still, that's quite uncommon for the shooter genre so far. Even I know that certain key elements are missing, such as being able to trade gear with other players. It really felt in overall upon beating the story that Bungie released an incomplete project, while simultaneously addressing towards the ridiculous claim that they will support Destiny for 10 years with patches and content.

Which was immediately debunked harshly when they subsequently started talking about the sequel already after the huge sales statistics were concrete and complete. And when a few weeks after release it was discovered that locked DLC was on the disc, I just knew that this whole ordeal is just another delusional way of hyping it all up.

The good points are combat, graphics and the soundtrack, the bad stuff RNG, loot for legendary equipment, repetitive missions and a dull and confusing storyline which made the same mistake like Final Fantasy XIII for making a glossary out of the plot instead of putting in the story progression that matters to the player and it's followable.


An uninspiring voiceover by Peter Dinkage playing as a robotic assistent felt dull, and Destiny being way too ambitious for it's claim, for now, hurt the overall experience I got. DLC and expansions can change that, but this is my conclusion for the initial vanilla release.

After beating campaign mode, which I did for the major part with friends, leveling beyond 20 or 21 now means that you need to find specific legendary gear in order to further level up. So, experience points do not matter anymore.

What does matter from that point is that the grind festivals have officially started  and you will practically need to grind or kill tons of enemies before the random number generator gods have heard enough prayers before legendary loot is shat down upon ye unholy futuristic shooter character.

I definitely wasn't looking forward towards grinding in the hopes of getting something better Korean style, so I didn't do it. Destiny has become a huge dissapointment for me, and I probably won't return towards it's world unless so much content and variety are added and fixes are made so that it does not get repetitive, redundant, pretentious or even boring for me to essentially replay.

This video game was only a bonus in my eyes though, since I decided to get a white and shiny new PlayStation 4.

Rating: 7.0

No comments: