Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Mario Tennis Open

 

My second Mario Tennis, after the 64 version 14 years ago I was ready for a new incarnation. Open introduces to me a convenient touch pad to use the specialized techniques with, but it also lets playable characters automatically move when the opponent strikes the ball.

This makes the game more easier, but with 8 cups and 5 different AI settings, it's not a toddler journey either. I don't remember that the cast was small unlike the 64 version, they must have deleted some of them. Unless I simply did not unlock anymore.

It also comes with local multiplayer and online multiplayer, enhancing replayability, and it has some special games as well involving playing tennis against a visualized wall depicting Super Mario Bros. and another one aiming for the rings at the net.

The core of the gameplay remains at playing singles or doubles, and Mario Tennis Open does a fine job in my opinion for presenting exactly what the Mario Tennis series is all about. There's not a real complaint to talk about if you ask me, unlike the negative reviews it got.


Rating: 7.5

No comments: