Tuesday, January 14, 2014

SteamWorld Dig



Nice indie attempt at combining the Super Metroid formula with something akin to Dungeon Keeper's strategic exploration aspect, but once I had seen the core gameplay of SteamWorld Dig, it fell out flatter than expected.

Hailed as one of the best indies of last year, digging and pickaxing into the underground sections was interesting while you collect natural resources for artificial benefits at the surface, where a steampunk western setting is established and the inhabitants like to talk about an Old World.

Having explained what is required from you, I felt eventually hindered by the backtracking as well as being unable to dig my way back up if it was too high to reach with my tools, or I needed to use a special move that would ony damage the earth mildly and consume lots of water required.

I understand it's a necessary hinderness, but it wasn't to my liking. SteamWorld Dig's got charm, but these hickups I discovered alongside the short length of the game made me regret swallowing up the hype it received and reminds me of Gone Home as well for both are unexpected dissapointments in the long term.

Perhaps these indie games labeled as GOTY's aren't meant for everyone, especially seasoned and hardened veteran gamers. Still, I'm glad that I am giving these titles atleast a try. I like giving new chances.


Rating: 7.1

No comments: