Friday, April 29, 2011

Retro Blog: Mega Man 3

Well, this is it. The best singleplayer game that I know of, and nostalgia, music and gameplay all had a role in that. After this Retro Blog I think that I will cool down with them, seeming that I have almost typed about every game where the nostalgia is strong for me. I think some articles where I b!tch about things is a refreshing path to take instead. On to the review now.

Spare me the Mega Man 2 versus Mega Man 3 discussions please. It is simply a matter of who grew up with what. I first played Mega Man (1987) before those two anyway. In my mind, Mega Man 2 is inferior, and a strong argument for that is because of the Doc Robots being available mainly in part 3, robots that mimick the movements of the Robot Masters from 2. A feature that pretty much was never seen again in any Mega Man game.

Anyway, where to start, as this epitome of classic gaming has so much to offer in greatness. The story goes that Dr.Wily has calmed down in here, and offers his intellect and abilities towards his former partner Dr.Light in order to create Gamma, apparently a peace keeping robot. While the good doctor's latest creations go berserk in several areas and mines, the Blue Bomber himself is asked to stop the attacks happening.

A mysterious red robot lurks in the dark, observing Mega Man while he is traversing the stages, utilizing the slide and a robot's best friend: Rush. This is where Dr.Wily's betrayal still mattered and that is why I like the story despite it's simplicity. 

The level design in here is the most unique seen yet, and that information goes along with the 3rd wave of Robot Masters. Many fundamental elements are missing here, and instead of that, we get odd bosses such as Gemini or Top Man. The gameplay has smoothly evolved, primarily for including the mighty slide.


The difficulty is about the same as part 2, but if you happen to know about the crazy cheats available for this title, then this is the easiest game in the series yet. I have never tried these cheats before, but I can imagine.

The game's length is easily the longest in the whole Classic series. As said, after defeating the regular 8 RM's, the 8 Doc Robots are next. A final encounter with Proto Man happens, and then Dr.Wily's huge fortress appears.

And last of all, the soundtrack is a masterpiece, even by Mega Man standards, which is already full of high quality. So much has been said about it already, such as the amazing opening, the overcoming get weapon theme, the mystifying electronic stage select, Top Man's beyond badass song and my personal favorite, Dr Wily Stage 3&4 Theme. That song embodies Dr.Wily's personality completely for me. His jealousy and rivalry will never go away. Dr.Wily Stage 3/4

If there's one moment in game history that I will remember forever, then it's the Dr.Wily stages from Mega Man 3 for me. Now the thing about those stages, it's the mood, the backgrounds and just the layout of them that has something special for me, it's really hard to tell.


Rating: 10.0, for being the most memorable and nostalgic game for me out there. It is the only 10 I have given towards a game so far, and I doubt that another 10 will come any time soon, as this rating goes beyond a game's greatest aspects and factors.

1 comment:

Doug Williams said...

A favorite NES game of mine also. What separated this game from most of the others were two things: Introducing the slide move which just plain kicked ass. The difficulty level was slightly easier than the first two which made it possible for a 10 year old, myself at the time, to beat it. Why Nintendo Power did not give this game the 5 star rating I will never know.