Thursday, September 10, 2020

Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2

I'm surprised to discover that I have not talked about these 2 charming games yet...!

Super Monkey Ball was the first video game I bought and played on my Nintendo Gamecube back in 2002. Instead of going for Luigi's Mansion, and while waiting for Super Smash Bros. Melee, I gave this new IP a chance.

You play as monkeys trapped in balls, while traversing and overcoming stages, using the analog stick for directional input, fast pacing, balance and careful considerations. The solo playing consists of beginner, advanced and expert stages, and if you are really good, you can attempt the master stages.

As for myself, Super Monkey Ball is one of the few games in my collections which I have never beaten completely, since I consider it to be that difficult. I get stuck halfway through the Expert stages, but still, this game is quite special.

Considering it's puzzling theme and concept, as well as the entertaining mini games available, the precise controls and the amount of skill needed are aspects which I respect it for. Sega made a very good hit, and it's still playable and fun.

Rating: 7.7

I have only recently played Super Monkey Ball 2, and since this game's single player offers unlimited continues, I was able to beat all ten worlds and ten stages.Some of them definitely involved more luck than skill though.

Like the original arcade port, this game also has Master and Extra levels featured, if you are able and skilled enough to reach them. Similarly, I was not able to touch them in here as well, but yet again, I appreciate the design and the content.

Super Monkey Ball 2 also features more mini games than before, including updated ones, and after this, the franchise has gone downhill in regards to quality, and they never really recovered. Should Super Monkey Ball 3 ever get released, I would gladly welcome it.

Rating: 7.5

No comments: