Friday, January 31, 2020

Downloadable Content: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Season 1

My thoughts on the first wave of downloadable characters:

Joker

Represents the Persona series, which is part of Shin Megami Tensei in the overall franchise. I have yet to play any of these entries, but Persona 5 is a popular game, and I suppose that the character was well received. As a fighter though, I dislike playing against him or playing as him.

Hero

Represents the Dragon Quest series, perhaps Japan's most requested one. Again, I have almost not played any entry, yet. Hero's most interesting move is being able to conjure several kinds of magic attacks using a traditional RPG menu to output them. I'm okay with him in general.

Banjo-Kazooie

A western favorite, very nostalgic for those that grew up with the Nintend 64 including me, Banjo-Kazooie not only represents his own series, but arguably also Rare and Microsoft, the companies that made this collaboration with Nintendo possible.His moveset is quite fun to play around with, although he does not feel overpowered.

Terry Bogard

Represents Fatal Fury and the King of Fighters, I can imagine that his recognition got more popular as people got to know him through his traditional moveset including special ones which can be triggered over 100%. Also bringing along a large amount of SNK songs, his inclusion is better than I expected!

Byleth

I might be biased, but some people would call Byleth not only a "waste of a slot" but for me, it also feels like Fire Emblem is definitely over represented, and Sakurai is a fanboy for it. Sure, Mario and Pokemon characters are plenty too, but those are more critical and commercially successful. Even though he is playable with some nifty moves, personally I would had wanted to see a character from a Nintendo IP which was either not represented yet, or very minimal.

In overall, I like them the most in this order: Banjo-Kazooie>Terry Bogard>Hero>Joker>Byleth.

Seeing as a second season of 6 downloadable characters has be confirmed, I am curious, but I was already content with the base release of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

No comments: