Monday, April 22, 2019

The Age of Information

Life is busy, busier and the busiest seen yet anno the beginning of the 21st century.

Collecting and storing information is nearly as old as mankind itself, but the reason I am calling this article's subject that way is that in my opinion, you get bombarded with all kinds of information these days.

Marketing, (fake) news, social media and the internet itself, these are just a few external factors which deliver the information. The internet and smart phone in particular are arguably the ones which occupy our lives the most when speaking of information.

Personal examples I can give are YouTube subscriptions towards mostly gamer related content, various active WhatsApp groups such as the Family and the Party Squad groups, reading up onto news on my bookmarks, and checking not only my own e-mail inbox, but that of my work too.

Speaking of which, work itself can get quite busy, almost to the point of chaotic. I have the option to work at home if I feel that necessary, or just simply when I need more time to review the information available to me and plan my next step per subject, be it a mail flow, an incident, a request, a project and so on.

Keeping up with family events and in my social network, keeping in contact with friends, those too are part of information related events happening. Keeping up to date with my hobbies is something I weekly consume too.

Doing the daily and weekly chores of grocery, housecleaning and cooking are also part of managing information. Lucky for me, I like to plan out ahead pretty much everything in life happening to me, but I also don't mind being flexible or getting adaptable towards unpredictable situations.

The Age of Information is a term I would use to reflect on society's current flows of information. Of course, everyone experiences this differently, be it in fewer or more proportions, but objectively, life is very busy.

No comments: