Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Power Unlimited


While North Americans were treated and grew up with Nintendo Power in my youth, Dutch kids on the other hand would be exposed to Power Unlimited, a gaming magazine that actually is still getting published to this present day.

During the 90´s, this is what would inform, excite and humorous me regarding video games. The crew´s noteworthy feature for me was that pretty much each in game screenshot would be somehow made a joke about by final editor Ed Wiggemans.

My first exposure towards the worldwide madness coverage, that is Electronic Entertainment Expo, would always be covered in this magazine, and I distinctively remember the chosen crew members always getting excited not just because of the flight and the announcements, but also because of the booth babes!

It was always my first experience with the art of crafting game reviews. I remember that the crew had the tendency to fuse personal experiences with the articles before talking about the games themselves, and while this was for the most part acceptable, eventually I would get tired of it.

Flash forward to the middle 00´s/2000's, what was the reason for me cancelling the subscription? I was getting tired of the crew's repetitive content, humor and criticism I guess. Plus around that time, I was exposed to online game reviews such as on GameFAQs anyway, I figured that this would be the right choice.

Power Unlimited is still going strong both as a magazine, as the television program Gamekings, and digitally on www.pu.nl. Looking back at it now over a decade later. I still fondly remember that I would anticipate with excitement for upcoming video games, seeing the score ratings, and laughing out loud about the humor it had so much to share and offer.

Nostalgia is remarkable.

No comments: