Saturday, September 24, 2016

Lenovo ThinkPad

 

Let's talk about my current work a bit.

My current client is Capgemini, which is a global consultancy and IT corporation operating on 3 continents and having 180,000 employees in over 40 countries. Being detached through my own IT company, I have been working there since last year's november.

The team rotates between Capgemini's NL headquarters and Sogeti's NL headquarters, which is a sister company and the original name for the whole organization, as envisioned by the late Serge Kampf.

While we perform local support towards end users, we all work with Lenovo's ThinkPad brand, which are business oriented notebooks that are designed to look like Japanese lunchboxes, also known as Bento.

Interesting trivia also says that Lenovo's ThinkPad series are the only laptops certified for use on the International Space Station. The Chinese company have good success with them towards companies and school because of their durable design and aftermarket replacement parts.


The brand splits up further into the subseries of X, T and W. The X's are intended for traveling and mobile usage, the T's are for the majority of professional employees, and the W's are for high end usage, with intended goals being for instance programming development, and managing virtual machines.

The ThinkPad I personally use for work is a T450, which has an Intel i5 2.30 GHz processor, a 250 SSD, 8GB of RAM and W7 Pro 64 bit. It has a functional internal camera, a smooth trackpad and a suitable touchpad. I had to get used to the Fn-Ctrl association, but then I learned.

What I like about ThinkPad and Lenovo in general is that they have developed an interest from me into notebooks, even though I got myself an old HP Elitebook 2530p already as a gift, unfortunately, the license of Windows 8 on it has expired, and upgrading towards 8.1 or 10 is not possible.

I might have to renew it, or perhaps go into uncharted territory further and install Linux on it. But to get back on-topic with ThinkPad, I'm glad to have gotten knowledge and experience supporting them, and yes, they are good companions in the big world of information and communications technology.

No comments: