Friday, April 24, 2015

Cinema of the 70's

The seventies of the last century have in my opinion some of the most interesting cinematic experiences in all of it's history. Many favorite movies of mine hail from this decade, and I'm sure that I will discover more sooner or later.

Critical acclaimed titles such as The Godfather, A Clockwork Orange, Star Wars and Apocalypse Now filled the decade so that at least every year in it, one would be released. And of course these titles remain highly watchable, are memorable and simply defined generations of fans.

One of my most liked genres also simply had some of the best movies released here, which is the horror genre. Examples like The Exorcist, Black Christmas and Alien fill up the 70's with brave new directions for the genre to take, and the transition from the styles of the 60's and before to the 70's and beyond is stunningly visible.

Experimental movies in the sense of trying out new idea's and directions such as Taxi Driver, The Holy Mountain and Eraserhead also make it a decade of pretty much a zone of weird pictures whereas anything can happen on the silver screen.

Bruce Lee, James Bond, Dirty Harry and other famous franchises are also present, and the blockbuster phenomena was created in 1975. What I really like whenever I revisit this decade is noticing that distinguished style of the 70's that simply sees to be all over the place.

Things like cultures, behaviors, clothing, acting and even experimenting is what keeps this all fresh despite that we are halfway into the 2010's now, or twenty or two thousand ten's both can also work.

It's just wonderful to be able to jump into any previous decade or film generation and see all of these different kinds of movies. I'm glad that I started watching black and white movies back when I was really starting to dig into this industry while I was 18.

Cinema of the 70's remains the stand out decade for me, however. I guess that in the future, I will talk a bit about other decades as well, or in the end all of them will be briefly written down by my typing hands.

No comments: