Monday, January 12, 2015

Get Equipped With:

 

Near the end of last year, I noticed that I needed a newer video card for the latest PC games, mainly because my old one would not allow it to upgrade from DirectX 10 to 11. That's why I have been researching what older generation of video card would suit me best throughout the new year.

According to benchmarking tests and reviews, the GTX670 came out highly, that's why I purchased it from someone else. As I was busy with this, according to recommended requirements, I figured that I needed more physical RAM too.

This was a simpler matter of comparing my old memory cards with a newer but same type of model, and I realized post-purchase that the RAM I bought looks overstylized and is a bit overpriced, but the important thing is that they work together with my old cards, giving me a total of 12GB currently.

But there is a technical support story behind these let's say newer products; at first, my PC would randomly shut down my monitor, while the latest games such as Alien: Isolation would crash. Deducing that the suspect would be the memory, I tried out different ways of testing this physically, but also systemically and "onlinenically".

As me and a buddy eventually crossed out many fields we could look into, including drivers, diagnostics, compatibility, optimalization and more, we were dumbfounded to be unable to trace the source of the sudden shutdowns, although my PC would continue running on it's own.


It's only after my own initiation of opening up my case once again and take another good observation at my customized PC after cleaning it up from dust that I deduced that a physical hard drive is probably a cause.

Because it touched my GTX670 on one edge, I thought that it would endure it's neighbour. But after I moved the hard drive to a new spot, to my surprise, the very high temperature of 100 degrees was finally dissapearing from my video card, because it was no longer absorbing heat from the hard drive.

So in the end, both products are simply working fine. It ain't a full upgrade, something which I have done twice so far between 5 to 6 years, but it will be enough for me to play the latest upcoming titles for this year, until DirectX 12 is released, and other kinds of new technology.

No comments: