Friday, June 17, 2011

Top Ten SNES Songs


Purely out of fun, I decided on a new and simple Top Ten list. The Super Nintendo Entertainment System has so many memorable songs that it would be impossible to put them all up for only ten spots, but as I am typing this, and remembering certain SNES songs, I will share with you my current ten favorites. I decided to limit each song to only one game, and bear in mind, in this particular list, it doesn't mean that the number 1 spot is better than the other 9:

10-Mountains/Terranigma

It certainly made me feel like I could conquer mountains of conflict. Sadly the song eventually gets re-used a lot at the second part of Terranigma, but fortunately it gave me a strong impression the first time and whenever I listen to it again while trying to forget that awful second part.

9-Simon's Theme/Super Castlevania IV

What a great entrance theme to Super Castlevania IV and Castlevania in general. One of the best invitation themes towards the gothic atmosphere and Dracula´s castle the huge franchise brings to us. Many songs in the series have been remixed plenty of times, but Simon´s Theme has only been featured thrice. I was hooked the first time I heard this song as a kid and when I was whipping up the forces of darkness at the same time. 
 
8-Black Dream/Chrono Trigger

A thrilling and dangerous sounding theme. Upon first arriving at this monstrosity of a flying building, no one knew exactly what they would face. Turns out that it would be the hardest dungeon in the game, and Queen Zeal would wait at the top to show you who has a pact with Lavos. The Black Omen is a mysterious UFO from this legendary RPG, and certainly, no one who has played through it has forgotten about it.

7-Boomer Kuwanger/Mega Man X

This was a very hard decision, as Sting Chameleon has been my favorite for a long time, and for many fans, that would have to be Storm Eagle. But upon listening to this once again, the buildup is very rewarding, sounding full of action and even dramatic at the final part. Capcom really went all out with the first entry of the Mega Man X series, and still listening to this is proof of that claim.

6-Dark World/The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I will never forget the moment I beat Aghanim and teleported into the Dark World, where upon looking at the world map, I was stumbled by the 7 crystal icons appearing now, indicating 7 dungeons were waiting, not to mention Ganon's Tower. This game marked for me the first time I was introduced to the game concept of there being a good and evil world. The song sounds like evil creatures marching proudly on their world that was once known as the Golden Land.

5-The Oracle/Secret of Mana

One of the most unusual songs heard on the SNES, this song would had never worked for me, unless I knew that Thanatos was the main antagonist of Secret of Mana and was bent on a gruesome vengeance after his suitable "host" suicides and he unleashes his wrath on the party members, hence the terrifying connection with this creepy song.

4-Sinistral Battle/Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals

Definitely a serious contender for the best boss battle theme in the history of videogames. Of course, opinions always change, but the power that this song makes during the game is strong and everlasting. The Sinistrals were huge in size in comparison towards the party members, and their intentions were crystal clear.

3-Ankor Wat/Illusion of Gaia

Yet another song that is only more valuable once you have played through this difficult dungeon from Illusion of Gaia. And I won't lie to you; this song is the reason I am planning on traveling to Cambodia someday and witness the magnificent temples with their rich history there including Ankor Wat, Angor Thom and others. Isn't that just beautiful, how a song can inspire a person to achieve something?

2-Mute City/F-Zero

Such a badass song, it has pretty much been featured in every F-Zero game to date, and continues to be added in the Super Smash Bros. titles. Sometimes, I wish that Formula Zero races were already possible, if only we could start racing on the Moon for example, far away from the chaos on Earth, with high measures of speed, crazy courses and futuristic cars. A man can dream.

1-Booster's Tower/Super Mario RPG

And to finish it off, here is some nice elevator music from another great SNES RPG. I actually was searching for Booster's actual theme...until I heard the song playing right after the elevator music! So this link I provided is actually two songs in one! It doesn't matter really, as both songs come right after each other during the game anyway.

1 comment:

Doug Williams said...

Nice top 10 choice! Indeed I might have to follow suit and make my own top 10 SNES music tracks at some point. No doubt Flok you have hit the key SNES games with awesome soundtracks: Chronotrigger, Secret of Mana, Castlevania IV, and F-Zero. However a few titles are missing. I am quite surprised Super Metroid and Top Gear do not rank here.