Monday, September 30, 2019

Cooking

 

My mom taught me cooking, of course.

But I really started cooking for myself after moving out. For the first 2 years, I was preparing dishes that I remembered from my original home, such as spaghetti, chili con carne, Dutch stamp potten and nasi goreng.

I really started experimenting and exploring once I discovered the Korean cuisine, which I wanted to do for years, ever since I took an expanded Arabic cooking session with my step sister. And now that wish has come true.

So far, I have, with success, prepared the following recipes; Dolsot Bibimbap, Tteodokki and Japchae, while serving Kimchi, dumplings and vegetables as side dishes.2 of those main dishes were tolerable for me, but one of them was way to spicy for me ;P

Guiding me in this fun process and I suppose hobby of gathering the right ingredients, preparing the kitchen and cooking in the right orders and timing, I used the internet, Pinterest and certain YouTube channels such as Gordon Ramsay and Maangchi, which I recently found to deliver the right quality.

Looking for feedback, almost all of my friends and families visiting my current home are invited to join my dinner, either with traditional dishes known in The Netherlands, or foreign ones like the ones I described earlier.

So far, the feedback has been positive, save for my father who is very traditional and picky with trying out new stuff hehe. In any case, by trying out new recipes using not only the local supermarkets, but the local toko's too, my experience has leveled up.

Ironically, I think that my contributions towards brewing cocktails in the past for my birthday parties, as well as my food & beverage background as several jobs, naturally led me to become an amateur cooking chef back home.

In overall, cooking is fun, especially if you can manage and prepare well. At a certain point, you will feel and know when components during cooking will be ready, but at the same time, you will keep learning, as there are countless amounts of possibilities to try out!

No comments: