Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Berlin

 

As for the last november weekend of this year, I decided to discover the capital of Germany. Not only did I decide to visit the highlights, but I have had a reunion with my German friend Uwe, who was my roommate during my journey through North Korea.

He is just as passionate as I am about traveling, and it was great to catch up with our memories, our present trip through Berlin and to talk about future destinations. For instance, his son is waiting for him in Nigeria, while Uwe's number 1 dream right now is to explore Tuvalu.

I went to see a total of 9 museums over the course of just a small weekend including friday, starting from the afternoon, not too shabby! These 9 include the Altes, Neues, Bode, Pergamon and Alte Nationalgalerie museums(of which my favorite probably is Bode), Schloss Charlottenburg, Topography of Terror, Museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie and the DDR museum.

My time in these places was time consuming, but very rewarding, and I was even impressed at some of the art objects found on the so called Museum Island. On the other side, Berlin's recent history including World War II and the Cold War is impossible to ignore and the numerous stories in their respectful museums completely immersed me.

Furthermore, I also went to see the highlight sightseeings, including Brandenburger Tor, the Siegessäule, Potsdamer Platz, Alexanderplatz, Checkpoint Charlie, the Berlin Wall at various spots and my 2 most favorite landmarks were Berliner Dom and the Reichstag.

Other than mentioning all that, I gotta say that Berlin is immense and a big metropolitan city to traverse. It's truly a beautiful and nowadays modern city which surely will continue to be extremely relevant for the country and the European Union.

No comments: