Friday, December 25, 2015

Efteling


De Efteling is historically one of the oldest theme parks in the world and also the largest one to be found in The Netherlands. Combining the powers of a filmmaker, artist and illustrator, It sprouted into business in the year of 1952.

As a kid, I have been here several times, looking in awe at attractions such as Droomvlucht, Fata Morgana and the Fairy Tale Forest, which consists of a compilation of well known fairy tales such as Snow White, The Six Servants, Hansel and Gretel and Rapunzel.

It's main theme really is about fairy tales, but myths, legends, fables and folklores are also present. One attraction I always found interesting is called Villa Volta, a madhouse where the visitors get the illusion that either the building, the visitors themselves or both are turned upside down.

The theme park is both suitable for children and adults, as romantic and nostalgic themes are also in attendance during your visit. Iconic features include Hollow Bulging Gijs or Holle Bolle Gijs, in which paper can be thrown in, or the park's overall appearance.

Another famous attraction is Carnival Festival, a dark ride where a host will guide you through 9 different cultural regions full of figures. I was once told by someone that these animatronic figures were made of chocolate and are/were edible.

For 2015, me and longtime friends also revisited the theme park during the winter period. And although the day was of course very much enjoyable, in a twist of turns, I overcame my fear of experiencing rollercoasters, especially scary ones.

With the perfect timing of introducing an intimidating new divecoaster called Baron 1898 for this year, I went into all rides, basically told myself "Fuck It" and my fear dissappeared. Of course, that doesn't mean that feeling nauseous would go away, which did happen at one point.

I'm looking forward towards using this same approach when I will find love in my own life, hah! Baron, Joris & the Dragon, Python, all rollercoasters were very much enjoyable and of course the thrills were still felt, but afterwards it's great to share your experience with your friends and family.

De Efteling is Holland's proud achievement of a great theme park, and I would love to revisit it again in the future.

No comments: