Thursday, July 17, 2014

FIFA World Cup 2014

We Are One

Normally I never write about soccer, but during this world cup, I simply became more involved in it than ever. In previous world cups sure I would at the very least see the semi finals and final whenever my country would survive so far, but this time I saw plenty more, including the performance of others.

The Netherlands proved that they are consecutively still one of the strongest footbal teams in the world, yet the curse continues to visit us whenever we attempt to become world champion for once. Nevertheless, there have been amazing tactics and goal shots on display.

Such as the very first one made by Robin Van Persie, or the one made by Memphis DePay in what I believe was the match against Australia, and of course the huge satisfaction upon Klaas Jan Huntelaar scoring after a penalty against Mexico.

My support aside from observing the Dutch matches involved dressing up in orange traditionally, shouting out my lungs and one time I cooked Mexican with my sister in law in order to eat up the Mexicans, and in the end we did!

Other matches which were exciting for me include Brazil vs. Chile, Colombia vs Brazil, Belgium vs. U.S.A. and Germany vs. Brazil. As you can see, a lot of that is with Brazil because they have a great reputation and they are the host of 2014.

And after their last performances against Germany and us, well, the country who sees soccer as a religion is damaged for the upcoming years to come. As for the Netherlands, well, I really felt bad we lost against Argentina, but at the same time we can be proud of our achievements.

Perhaps this was our best chance yet of becoming the world's number 1 because of our extraordinary strong team and coach, but now people are wondering if they might need to be replaced in 4 years time.

Although I am normally no soccer fan, the world cup series are exceptional because of the global hype they receive and pretty much the fact that so many people are connected with this sport around the globe.


No comments: