Monday, February 10, 2014

Understanding Mainstream Music and VGM

There is a notable absence of me growing up with the actual music industry; all of those pop songs, but also all of the miscellaneous and more underrated genres have never truly impacted me as VGM or Video Game Music did for me.

Before continueing, I am by no means a music expert and for most people I would probably have a bad taste. Fortunately, most people aren't me and so, I listen to whatever the hell I want, which also includes Lounge, Jazz, Auto-Tune and Baroque.

Aside from the lack of knowledge surrounding music, I am also terrible with remembering the names of songs or their lyrics. Most of the time I can't even hear every sentence of a particular song, partially because of the noise surrounding that song, and part of that comes from my two sensible ears.

The occassional pop music does stick with me and I even enjoy it, and I can remember and recognize many songs, but once again, pretty much none of them come close to the magical very diversive world of VGM.

Video game music is simply so diversive not only because of the auditorial limitations of the older console generations, but also because VGM is like cinema music, as both offer a ton of different tunes.

You wouldn't instantly notice it, but video games have genres for music in general as well, like movies. With mainstream music however, I tend to presumably notice that 95% of the songs are about love, romance and relationships.

This might be another reason why there is such a huge difference for me in these two comparisons; I cannot really relate to love, romance and relationships, because I haven't really experienced them. This is no bullshit, but it appears that I have been unlucky in these three fields.

VGM offers a whole world of songs where as most of them usually embody and feel appropiate in regards to when they are playing inside video games. A very notable example is found in boss battles, which is diversive by itself. The melodrama, epic score or other kinds can easily kick in at these grand battles.

I'm having a hard time describing why I love this, because I do not understand or at least can recognize musical instruments, synthesizers and other tools inside songs. Recently, I do like to go more towards concerts or festivals simply because I can feel the large "group aura" heating up at successful events.

I also don't know how to end this blogpost, because it's clear that there's a whole world out there of love and music I have yet to embrace fully towards my heart. Maybe it's for the best that I should make a continuation blogpost of this in the future.

And no, I have no favorite band. I have never been a fan or have been obsessed by music bands.

No comments: