Friday, November 29, 2013

Kenpo Karate

I didn't attend an International Karate Championship this year. Previously, I attended them at 2009 in Las Vegas, a semi similar IKC at 2010 in Dublin, in Madrid at 2011 and in Utrecht at 2012. This time I would like to talk a little bit about Kenpo Karate.

Having trained with this martial arts for roughly seven and a half years now, it definitely changed me as a person. There are many advantages towards starting with martial arts, and some of the biggest boosts I personally got were self-esteem and teamwork.

The philosophy surrounding Kenpo Karate is also interesting, yet schools and dojo's using the fighting art around the world tend to tweak and modify the knowledge left behind by grandmaster and founder Edmund Parker.

The history of Kenpo Karate came from Parker's birthplace Hawaii in the form of streetfighting, but in fact traces centuries back towards what can now be considered ancient forms of martial arts from Asia including Japan and China.

As a green ranked belt, the next step up the ladder is considered the first huge leap in the whole system, for when I do become a brown belt in the nearby future, I can be considered eligible for teaching others the things I learned.

Yet in Kenpo Karate, it is permitted to be creative about how to use the techniques, forms and basics, how to interpretet them, how to adapt towards them, etc. , however, this level of creativity seems to usually come when black belts start their own schools.

Being committed towards the fighting art is wonderful. It usually leaves me satisfied after either mentally or physically training, be it intensive or calm. And all sorts of people, from young to old, female and male, participate together in this network of the Fist Law.

I would be honored to be awarded the status of a black belt someday, but I must say that I always feel victorious and truly successful whenever I train for this system. Sometimes I might be sick or feel negative, but at the end of the day, I am always glad that I went for another lesson.

No comments: