Saturday, May 4, 2013

Rayman Origins

Ubisoft’s mascot has had three main games before Origins arrived, but this is the first time I have played a Rayman game.

As my first time experiencing the series, I'm really glad to have played through Origins. I was most of all reminded of Donkey Kong Country, for both have very similar pacing, level design, controls and a secret area.

Rayman Origins has a brightful world to be explored by up to four players. I enjoyed the happy mood the overall presentation provided, and the animations were humorous as well as cute. The music is definitely a highlight.

The graphics are drawn beautifully, and the controls were almost perfect for me. There were instances where Rayman would just stand still after I dash jumped around, and I still don't know how I triggered it.


Selectable characters are Rayman, Globox and way too much similar Tweenies. The moves they perform are all the same, and include being able to wall jump, run up walls, charge an attack, float in the air and ground stomping.

The excellent level design is varied, creative and challenging. Especially the underwater levels were a lot of fun, and collecting the Lums could sometimes really shine the levels even more, because of the way they were placed. 

Shoot 'em up levels featuring airborne mosquitoes are another entertaining portion of Origins, and once you collect enough Electoons, you will open up the secret area known as Land of the Livid Dead.


This is how you do not only a functional platforming game, but also a very successful one. With enough content, variety and enjoyment to fill up, you can't go wrong with Rayman Origins, a very pleasant time well spent.

Rating: 8.6

No comments: