Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Upcoming Promising Movies in 2012

I wonder what movie will be nominated the most for the Oscars of 2011. Not that the Oscars are perfect and fair awards, as opinions differ naturally, but yet it would be interesting to see what movie will win this time. To be frank, there were no amazing movies last year for me. But perhaps gems will rise up once again during the awards, like The King's Speech(2010), coming out of nowhere.

The point of this post though is about upcoming promising movies. Normally, I despise trailers, because the chance of seeing spoilers unfold is larger than you think. However, some movies are hyped up so much, you cannot look away. Other movies's strength simply do not lie at their plots, so watching their trailers isn't that risky.

Prometheus

Ridley Scott returns in the director's seat 33 years later on back to the Alien franchise. Well, only partially, because the story will focus on some entire new mythology, set in the same universe. If it has suspense and great looks, then this movie has already won for me.

The Hobbit

The dwarf song in the trailer did it for me. In the book, which I have read, it simply didn't have that much power to me, looking at it's lyrics only. But once they sing, in here, while Gandalf wanders off in dangerous territories, it powerfully makes a mark in the minds of fans. While it will have a different atmosphere than it's epic trilogy sequel, the sense of adventuring will be perhaps much stronger.

The Dark Knight Rises

It's a no brainer for me. Whatever Christopher Nolan touches, he turns it into gold. From Following(1998) to Inception(2010), he has made several remarkable films, and several masterpieces. This final part of Batman's strongest reboot will most likely keep us amazed and respected about its way of filming, storytelling, performances and music for decades. Expect the magnificent unexpected touch of Nolan.

The Expendables 2

You cannot get more manly than this. It's all about the cast, and the plot is funny on it's own, because the first film displayed typical elements of an over the top action film from the 80's and early 90's. Veteran action actors will once again team up to fight evil, and this time, Arnold Schwarzenegger WILL have action, and this excites me already.

[REC] 3: Genesis

Third part of a Spanish zombie/infected/possessed franchise, Genesis looks to be effing crazy, perhaps even more because of the happy irony starting at a wedding. It promises to connect subtle clues from the first 2 movies, and then end off with a good setting for the final fourth film in the future. Honestly, I don't think this movie can fail for me personally, given how the sequel was just as good as the original. The [REC] films are simply some of the best modern zombie infested movies around.

The Tall Man

My number 1 promising movie goes to The Tall Man though, which does not have a trailer yet. I choose for this, simply because the director, Pascal Laugier, directed Martyrs(2008). It does not mean that this will be as horrific as that, but it is definitely enough reason for me to keep watch for an eventual release date for this. Next to Prometheus, The Tall Man sounds the best as a title for me.

Are you excited? And did I miss any film worthwhile to watch this year? Let me know!

No comments: